badgirls Index du Forum
badgirls Index du ForumFAQRechercherS’enregistrerConnexion

Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007)

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    badgirls Index du Forum -> Badgirls -> Mandana Jones de A à Z !!! -> Forum de discussion
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
pupuce

MessagePosté le: 28/03/2007 21:20:40    Sujet du message: Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007) Répondre en citant

Curve Magazine – February 2007 issue.

One-on-one with Mandana Jones.

The sultry actor gives us a little face time to talk about her Bad Girls role and what her father thinks about all this – LeeAnn Kriegh. (copyright Curve magazine and LeeAnn Kriegh. No claim made by MJ Net).

What made the chemistry between you and your co-star Simone Lahbib, work so well?
We just made choices together about what we would do in each scene, and we worked together extremely well. I think chemistry happens when you’re just open and it flows and there’s no self-critique, there’s no getting in the way, and there’s no ego. I don’t think you can create it, really. I think it’s something to do with that feeling when your intellect and your heart and your guts are all in line, and then something really special can happen.

Playing Nikki Wade gave you an opportunity to play the “other,” to explore an entirely foreign landscape.
Yes it did. She was a real outsider is what she was. First of all, she was gay. Second of all, she was in prison. She wasn’t even in the normal world. Third of all, her particular crime was against a policeman, against authority. She was a sort of outlaw on more than one level, and in a sense, I think that’s what Nikki’s strength was. She knew who she was, she was self-defined, and she didn’t for one moment dither about the choices she had made.

Did playing the role impact you personally?
On a personal level, I had a catalog of failed relationships, and the one thing they all had in common was they all had me involved in them…. And Men. [Laughs] That was interesting, to step into the story of what it would be like to be with someone who essentially gets what you are going on about.

Imagine that.
Imagine. [Laughs] Just imagine how much easier it would be and how much less jealousy and fallout there would be over ridiculous issues because you’re being constantly misunderstood and misinterpreted. The show very much gave me that platform to explore, and I found it fascinating.

Through much of the show, Nikki is an astonishingly self-assured woman.
It is really interesting because she has killed a man, a policeman. She likes to sleep with women. She’s inside, not outside. But in all of those things, she doesn’t for one moment think she did the wrong thing. She would probably, were she a real person, have the country up in arms about her. Her behaviour would be panned by millions. By millions. But Nikki believes what she is doing is right and what she is doing is true. What are numbers and what are people to tell you that you are behaving with integrity? There’s a wonderful quote by Boris Pasternak. Its one I often think about in life, and it is: “It is in our power to do one thing, and that is not to distort the living voice of life.” That’s the thing I’m talking about. Nikki really does know about the life that sounds within her, more than most of us, I think.

Can you tell me about a scene that stands out to you?
There’s a scene in which Nikki tells Helen, “I’m completely and utterly in love with you, and there’s nothing I can do about it.” I remember that because its just a snapshot of just one individual laying herself utterly vulnerable and talking entirely from the heart. In that line and that delivery, in the way it was done, it wasn’t like Nikki was after anything; it wasn’t like she was trying to pressure Helen; it wasn’t anything. It was just an expression of love and nothing more. There was a purity about it that I remember quite well.

Despite the serious content, the show wasn’t always taken seriously, was it?
I personally feel that my own father, if I had been playing a straight character, he would’ve taken it more seriously. I remember him saying to me during the second season, “I watched your program the other night. I can’t hear what you’re saying. You must learn to speak up Mandana.” Which I found fascinating because my own dad was saying, “I couldn’t hear you.” Just this notion that you’ve got this award winning, most popular drama on TV and there’s one character in it who is mute. My father is a very straight laced, rather parochial person, and I think he must have found it hard at some level to see his daughter playing a gay person and to understand any of the issues she was up against, and so he chose not to hear her. He literally couldn’t hear her.

That’s rather stunning.
Yeah, it is. If people want to zone out of that storyline, then they will, and to some extent there’s nothing you can do about it. You can’t pull people back from entire prejudice. You may be able to seduce a few people along the way, but your not going to win them all over.
Publicité

MessagePosté le: 28/03/2007 21:20:40    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
pupuce

MessagePosté le: 28/03/2007 21:21:38    Sujet du message: Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007) Répondre en citant

Voici la suite

Bad Girls are back

Britain’s biggest lesbian export hits US shores – well, televisions – this year. By LeeAnn Kreigh.

British actor Mandana Jones is an international lesbian icon who portrayed one of the most beloved lesbian characters in television history. So why is it so few people in America – gay or straight – know about her, the character she played, or Britain’s hit show Bad Girls, which lasted eight seasons and featured one of televisions most captivating lesbian storylines for three of those?

The answer isn’t terribly exciting. It involved difficulties selling the program in the US and distribution delays for US versions of the DVD’s.
What is exciting is that Bad Girls has finally arrived here. The first season is available on DVD and LOGO began airing the program earlier this year. In addition, the FX network is developing an American version of the show, with plans to transfer most of the storylines and all the main characters, including lesbian inmate Nikki Wade (played by Jones) and the prison official she falls in love with, Helen Stewart.

Yes, more than 40 countries around the world saw it first, but it seems America has, at last, discovered Bad Girls.

Jones says what American viewers have been missing is, quite simply, television history. “We broke down barriers, portraying things the public didn’t normally have in their front room at 9 o’clock on a Tuesday evening. Bad Girls was really fresh and original. And it was absolutely groundbreaking.”

The network television portrayal of two women falling slowly and madly in love over three seasons was indeed groundbreaking in Britain in 1999 – and, sadly, it remains almost unfathomable for network television stations in the US almost a decade later.

Bad Girls takes place in Larkhall, a fictional women’s prison filled with an ever-changing assortment of “screws” (prison officers) and inmates. Although the drama sometimes veers into campy humour, most of the storylines hinge on serious explorations of the treatment and struggles of women in prison.

Maureen Chadwick, the lead writer and one of the program’s three lesbian creators, says, “It’s a show about survival…. It’s a mixture of women from all different classes and races and ages, all thrown together in this grim institution where they’re trying to repair their wrecked lives.”

Jones describes Nikki as “intelligent, sensitive and fearless,” a complex character who “made people take their notion of what a lesbian is out of a very, very, small box they never dared to look at.”

Nikki eventually falls for Helen, an apparently straight prison official played by Simone Lahbib. Although they share a commitment to prisoner rights and reform, Nikki’s quick temper and sharp tongue contrast sharply with Helen’s suppressed emotions and rule-abiding ways. The increased tension and chemistry builds between them over three years, creating one of the most remarkable slow burns in lesbian TV history.

“It was the first show that went out in prime time that didn’t just tip a hat at the notion of two women being in love.” Jones says. “It really ran a proper storyline that had a slow simmer and took a long time before it came to a boil.”

Much of the credit goes to Chadwick and the other two lesbian creators, who Chadwick says, “set out to make the kind of television we wanted to watch ourselves, where women were active agents themselves rather than objects of men’s stories.”

One of the creators’ challenges was making a mainstream audience believe in – and even pull for - Nikki and Helen’s relationship. To do so, they engaged in what Chadwick calls “subversion by seduction.”

The idea, she says, was to lead viewers “on a journey where they would become so interested and engaged with the story, the characters and the telling that they would hurdle over their prejudices and hardly notice their concerns. They would go on an emotional journey and arrive somewhere at the other end of it where they felt differently about the issue.”

The technique worked as Bad Girls quickly became a nationwide phenomenon. Along with winning its timeslot, the show won two National Television Awards and was named the country’s best-loved drama four years in a row.

During her years on the show, Jones says the British media focused on the inevitable straight-playing-gay questions, such as what was it like to kiss her beautiful co-star. The sensationalism disappointed Jones, whose goal was to create a character with such depth and complexity that her sexuality would be secondary, if not entirely forgotten.

“When I approached it I thought, I don’t want to play this gay love story. I want to take the gay word and the gay label out,” she says. “I thought, tell it for what it is, which is just a love story that happens to be taking place in very bizarre circumstances that intensifies things. For it to be powerful, I thought you had to first get people past their in-built phobias that it happens to be between two women.”

Jones is proud of the impact the character has had on viewers around the world. “With most roles, you do your bit and it doesn’t really transfer much beyond the box in the corner of the living room. Nikki Wade is a character that touched people’s lives, and I’m honoured because there aren’t a lot of roles that can do that.”

In Britain, Chadwick says Bad Girls was sometimes marketed in a simplistic and demeaning way, as a titillating “babe behind bars” melodrama. “Some people see the camp side of it rather than the underlying issues,” she says, “but it doesn’t really matter, I suppose, because our fans get it.”

And now, at last, viewers in the US have a chance to “get it” as well.
HelenAddict
Invité

MessagePosté le: 28/03/2007 21:50:48    Sujet du message: Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007) Répondre en citant

Tu nous fais une petite trad Pupuce ?
pupuce

MessagePosté le: 28/03/2007 21:55:08    Sujet du message: Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007) Répondre en citant

Je suis occupée de la faire et dés que c'est fini je vous la met
pupuce

MessagePosté le: 28/03/2007 23:10:34    Sujet du message: Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007) Répondre en citant

Voici la 1er partie, mon anglais n'est pas des meilleurs mais j'ai fait mon possible. En espérant que je ne me suis pas trop planté dans la traduction.

Face à Face avec Mandana Jones.

L'actrice nous donne un peu de son temps pour parler de son rôle dans Bad Girls et de ce que son père pense de tout ça.

Qu'est-ce qui à fait pour avoir une telle relation de travail entre vous et votre co-star Simone Lahbib?

Nous avons juste fait des choix ensemble au sujet de ce que nous ferions dans chaque scène, et nous avons extrêmement bien travaillé ensemble. Je pense que la chimie se produit quand vous êtes simplement ouvert et elle coule de source, là n'est aucune critique d'individu pour moi. Je ne pense pas que vous pouvez la créer, vraiment. Je pense qu'elle est quelque chose à faire avec le sentir dans votre intellect et votre coeur et vos entrailles sont tous la ligne, et quelque chose de vraiment spécial se produit.

Le rôle de Nikki Wade vous a donné l'occasion de jouer "L'autre" pour explorer un rôle entièrement étranger?

Oui c'est vrai. Elle était réellement une vraie étrangère. Tout d'abord, elle était gaie. En second lieu de tous, elle était en prison. Elle n'était même pas dans le monde normal. Et troisièment, son crime particulier était contre unpolicier, contre l'autorité. Elle était une sorte à proscrire à plus d'un niveau, et dans un sens je pense que c'était la force de Nikki. Elle a su qui elle était, elleétait un individu défini et pas une transe du moment au sujet des choix qu'elle a eu à faire.

Jouant le rôle vous a affecté personnellement?

A un niveau personnel, j'ai eu une liste de rapports échoués et l'une des chose qu'ils ont tous en commun était qu'il m'ont tous impliqué dans eux. Et hommes. Qui était intéressant, pour faire un pas dans l'histoire de ce qu'il serait comme pour être avec quelqu'un qu'on obtient essentiellement.

Imaginer cela?

Imaginer. Imaginer juste combien plus facile il couterait et combien moins de jalousie et de retombées coûteraient aux questions ridicules parce que vous êtes constamment mal compris et mal interprétés. La série m'a donné beaucoup de cette plateforme à expolrer et moi je l'ai trouvé fascinante.

Par une grande partie de la sèrie, Nikki est une femme "astonishingly" assurée?

Il est vraiment intéressant parce qu'elle a tuè un homme, un policier. Elle aime dormir avec des femmes. Elle est à l'intérieur, pas à l'extérieur. Mais de toute ces choses, elle ne pense pas qu'elle à fait la mauvaise chose. Elle état probablement une vrai personne, tous le pays a levé les bras en l'air à son sujet. Son comportement serait filtré par des millions. Mais Nikki croit que ce qu'elle fait est droit et vraie. Ce qui sont nombreux les gens pour vous dire que vous vous comportez avec intégrité? Il y a une merveilleuse citation de Boris Pasternak. A laquelle je pense souvent dans la vie, et c'est : "il est dans notre puissance de faire une chose, et ce n'est pas tordre la vois vivante de la vie." C'est la chose dont je parle. Nikki vraiment sait la vie cela retentit chez elle, plus que la plupart d'entre nous, je pense.

Pouvez-vous me dire au sujet d'une scène qui vous tient à coeur?

Il y a une scène dans laquelle Nikki dit à Helen, <je suis complètement et tout à fait dans l'amour avec toi, et il n'y a rien que je peux faire à son sujet.> Je me rappelle cela parce que c'est juste un individu qui s'étend tout à fait vulnérable et parlant entièrement avec son coeur. Dans cette ligne et cette livraison, de la manière qu'elle a été faite, il n'était pas comme Nikki était après n'importe quoi; il n'était pas comme elle essayait de pressuriser Helen; il n'était pas quelque chose. Il était juste une expression de l'amour et rien de plus. Il y avait une pureté à son sujet que je me rappelle tout à fait bien.

En dépit du contenu sérieux, la sèrie n'a pas toujours été prise sérieusement, n'est-ce pas?

J'estime personnellement que mon propre père, si j'avais joué un caractère droit, l'aurai pris d'avantage sérieusement. Je me rappelle qu'il me disait pendant la deuxième saison, <j'ai observé votre programme l'autre nuit. Je ne peux pas entendre ce que vous dites. Vous devez apprendre à parler vers le haut Mandana.>
Ce que j'ai trouvé fascinant parce que mon propre père était me disant <je ne pourrais pas vous entendre> Juste cette notion que vous avez cette récompense gagnant, la plupart des drame populaire sur la TV et il y a un caractère dans lui qui est muet.
Mon père est une personne lacée et plutôt paroissiae très droite, et je pense qu'il doit avoir eu du mal à un certain niveau de voir sa fille jouer une personne gaie et à comprendre l'une des questions qui était vers le haut, et ainsi il a choisi de ne pas l'entendre. Littéralement, il ne pourrait pas l'entendre.

Cela assomme plutô?

Oui, si les gens veulent répartir hors zone cette histoire, alors ils ont la volonté, et là n'est rien que l'on peut faire dans une certaine mesure à son sujet. Vous ne pouvez pas retirer des préjudice de toute les personnes. Vous pouvez pouvoir séduire peu de gens de la manière, mais vous ne pouvez pas les gagner partout.
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: 17/11/2017 22:05:36    Sujet du message: Interview pour Curve Magazine (Février 2007)

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    badgirls Index du Forum -> Badgirls -> Mandana Jones de A à Z !!! -> Forum de discussion Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | créer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
darkages Template © larme d'ange